HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
About this course
This course teaches the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings. It is the most common workplace first aid course in Australia and is recognised in all states and territories. The course topics include the DRSABCD action plan and responding to emergency situations, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), burns, asthma, anaphylaxis, sprains and strains.
Participants who have been assessed as competent in all assessments will receive a Statement of Attainment in:
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
- HLTAID010 Provide Basic Emergency Life Support
- HLTAID009 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
HLTAID011 Provide First Aid and HLTAID010 Provide Basic Emergency Life Support certificates will require renewal after 36 months. HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate will require renewal after 12 months.
What you will learn
This qualification includes the following:
- First aid guidelines from Australian national peak clinical bodies
- Potential incident hazards and risk minimisation processes when providing first aid
- Infection control procedures, including use of standard precautions and resuscitation barrier devices
- Contents of first aid kits
- Duty of care requirements
- Provision of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Appropriate use and maintenance of an AED
- How to access emergency services
- Signs, symptoms and management of the following conditions and injuries:
- allergic reaction
- fractures, dislocations, strains and sprains
- head, neck and spinal injuries
- non-life, and life-threatening bleeding
- minor wounds
- cardiac conditions, including chest pain
- envenomation (all current treatments)
- sharps injuries
- eye injuries
A reasonable degree of physical fitness is required, as CPR must be performed continuously, for a minimum of 2 minutes, on both adult and child mannequins.
Employment pathways into positions which may require individuals to provide a first aid response in a work place setting.
Successful completion of this unit will be eligible for Credit Transfer into a number of Training Package qualifications.
Possible further study options may include: HLTAID012 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting and HLTAID014 Provide Advanced first aid.
Note: This RTO may not offer all qualifications listed above as possible pathways.
Provide First Aid is delivered in 1 day, from 9:00AM – 4:00PM. Full payment, pre-reading and completion of a multiple choice assessment task is required prior to commencing the face-to-face component of the course.
$35 non refundable up front fee.